[scponly] Anyone hit file count limit in scp?

Ralf Durkee rd at rd1.net
Thu Aug 12 20:31:23 EDT 2004

The number 97 certainly makes a lot of sense.  A fairly typical max open
file limit is 100 minus at least 3 for stdin, stdout and stderr. The
opening and closing of files being transferred to the server should be done
by the sftp-server, so I doesn't seem like it should be scponly, maybe a
difference in chroot'ed sftp-server not being able to do something?  I did
a quick test putting 600 files, and there was no problem with files being
left open during the transfer.   While the sftp transfer is taking place
you could use lsof, or lsof -u <user> to see what files are being left
open.  You should also check that they aren't being left open on the client
using lsof.

My test was with OpenSSH_3.7.1p2 ( FreeBSD server and Linux client) and
scponly-3.11

-- Ralf Durkee, CISSP, GSEC, GCIH
Principal Consultant
http://rd1.net