[scponly] Can't transfer files with SCP

Håkan Terelius hakanterelius at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 18 03:19:16 EDT 2004

Hi everybody

I have installed scponly on my linux server with chroot enabled.
Then I created a user with the "make jail" script.
I use WinSCP to connect to my server, and if I select "sftp" everything
works fine, but when I selected "scp" I got the message about the
"groups"-file, so I copied groups to /*chrooted user*/usr/bin/groups. After
that I can log in with scp, but when I tries to transfer a file I get the
error message
"Cannot execute SCP to start transfer. Please make sure that SCP is
installed on the server and path to it is included in PATH. You may also try
SFTP instead of SCP.
Command failed with return code 255."

It sounds like a very simpel error, but I'm quite new on linux. The strange
thing is that I have the scp binary in /*chrooted user*/usr/bin/scp
I have also checked "ldd scp" and all those librarys exist there.
Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could do to solve this?

I have an other question too.
When the user logs in, he enters the chroot directory and not his writable
home folder.
Is it possibly to make a login script that changes his directory when he
logs in.
I have tried to add "cd home" in the ".bash_profile"-file, but it seems that
scponly doesn't execute that file, so is there an other way to make a login
script?

Thanks for your time
Hakan Terelius
hakanterelius at hotmail.com