[scponly] Anyone hit file count limit in scp?

Lupe Christoph lupe at lupe-christoph.de
Sun Aug 15 05:36:49 EDT 2004

On Friday, 2004-08-13 at 14:13:43 -0600, Paul Hyder wrote:
> In case someone else runs into file count restrictions:

I'd expect it to run into the size restriction for arguments in the
execve call:

Linux:
       E2BIG  The argument list is too big.

FreeBSD:
     [E2BIG]            The number of bytes in the new process' argument list
                        is larger than the system-imposed limit.  This limit
                        is specified by the sysctl(3) MIB variable
                        KERN_ARGMAX.

Solaris:
      E2BIG
           The number of bytes in the new process's argument list
           is  greater  than  the system-imposed limit of ARG_MAX
           bytes. The argument list limit is sum of the  size  of
           the  argument  list plus the size of the environment's
           exported shell variables.

scponly needs to keep track of the space occupied by the argument array
in build_arg_vector (I believe). Not the number of arguments. One
argument could exceed ARG_MAX. Or it could just let the system tell it
that the argument array is too big.

HTH,
Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe at lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| "... putting a mail server on the Internet without filtering is like   |