[csu540-f05-rpf] Notes on grading for Prog. Assignment #2

Robert Futrelle futrelle at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Oct 8 22:24:39 EDT 2005

CSU540 Fall 2005 Programming Assignment #2 - The Planets
Professor Futrelle's comments on the assignments as handed in.

Biggest problem seemed to be to get relative sizes of planets to
change noticeably in perspective view. Not overall scale, but
different apparent sizes when comparing one planet to another.

Javadoc problem is that many people had package members, not public,
and didn't use -package option when running javadoc.
That option:
"Shows only package, protected, and public classes and members."
according to
man javadoc
and other javadoc guides.

Others put in no author/version info in javadoc and/or did not
use the proper javadoc options to cause it to be included.

Some included @param and @return comments, which was helpful.
Some had very little in the way of javadoc comments, which is
decidedly unhelpful.

In every case, all code ran fine on my Mac G4 Powerbook under Java 5.
I ended up not having to run any on Solaris, though I always stand
ready to, if any problem arise.

Some defined various basic vector methods as static, which is
appropriate for basic math functionality.

Some left tilde (~) backup files in their directories, which ended
up in the jar files and are useless distractions.

Because the comments above cover the majority of the issues that
arose in your assignment, I have not repeated them in the
individual comments on your projects.

Grades for each student and a few specific comments will be
mailed individually.

  -- RPF