[csu540-f05-rpf] Problem running on solaris

Robert Futrelle futrelle at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Oct 6 19:30:39 EDT 2005

There are probably two problems:

1.  You can't get a graphics program running on Solaris to display on
a remote machine unless you are using X11 to handle the display.  If
you have an X11 server on your machine it might work.  It's broken
for Mac OS X TIger, but works on Panther.  If you have an xterm
window running on your machine, enter:

ssh -X <login>.<host>

and then run your graphics code.  For Windows, you can use Cygwin.
If you have a Linux box, it may already be there. If none of these
work, you have to go to the lab.  If you can't get there tonight,
turn in your code tonight and check Solaris tomorrow.  Good chance it
will work there.  I haven't had one turned in today that doesn't run
on my PB.  If it doesn't I will go to Solaris via X11 (Panther) or
Cygwin and run it remotely.

2. You have some oracle directories in your PATH.  See the discussion
in our archives back about Sept 12 as to how to solve this problem.

  - Prof. Futrelle