[scponly] problems after patching SLES10 server

axel at schnecken-clan.de axel at schnecken-clan.de
Wed Sep 21 03:45:53 EDT 2011

Running scponly on a SLES10 SP3 box I ran into problems after patching it to
SLES10 SP4 and current patches.

When creating a jail account now and trying to login using sftp it will result
in a

"Couldn't read packet: Connection reset by peer"

after providing user and password.

I found that the binary 'sftp-server ' that will be copied into the users
<home>/usr/lib/ssh is bigger in size as the file in older user dirs.
As soon as I copy the file from an older user dir into the new user I can login
with this new account.

Already tried to recompile scponly.

How could I find what's going wrong and how to resolve?
Axel