[scponly] scponlyc broken after upgrade to Debian 5

Kaleb Pederson kaleb.pederson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 15:36:43 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 11:47:28 am Chris Wood wrote:
> Kaleb,
>
> The scponly install I'm using is the default debian package 4.6-1.3.

That version is really quite old.  I'm recommend the CVS version of scponly, or the latest stable release.  CVS is stable and contains a few minor bug fixes.  It's possible that the upgrade alone will fix the problem.

> If I sftp to the server with an account without chroot, it connects
> just fine and works correctly.  The logs I included in the previous
> email were from my trying to connect from one linux box (client) using
> sftp to the server linux box which is setup scponlyc (chroot).  In
> other words, they weren't the logs of my putty test.

Your comment in the prior e-mail said:

"------- If user ssh into the server using putty --------"

And the logs also showed:

"scponly[18668]: entering WinSCP compatibility mode [username:
ttabor(1014), IP/port: 172.16.40.105 2273 22]"

Those don't make sense unless the WinSCP compatibility mode detection was quite broken or your sftp client is doing something quite strange.  The test for WinSCP compatibility mode shouldn't be something that's not likely to happen accidently, as the program requested by the connecting client would have to match:

"test -x /usr/lib/sftp-server && exec /usr/lib/sftp-server test -x /usr/local/lib/sftp-server && exec /usr/local/lib/sftp-server exec sftp-server"

> I can't quite make heads or tails of the log files.  Any other ideas I
> could test?

If the above doesn't help, I'd follow the instructions on the FAQ to generate a full set of strace files:

http://sublimation.org/scponly/wiki/index.php/FAQ#I_still_can.27t_find_my_problem.2C_what_else_can_I_try.3F

HTH,

--Kaleb