[scponly] scponlyc broken after upgrade to Debian 5

Chris Wood chriswoodut at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 15:58:10 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Kaleb Pederson
<kaleb.pederson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 March 2009 11:47:28 am Chris Wood wrote:
>> Kaleb,
>>
>> The scponly install I'm using is the default debian package 4.6-1.3.
>
> That version is really quite old.  I'm recommend the CVS version of scponly, or the latest stable release.  CVS is stable and >contains a few minor bug fixes.  It's possible that the upgrade alone will fix the problem.

Debian's release cycles are long, ugh.  This is the latest package on
Debian 5 which was just released last week.

>> If I sftp to the server with an account without chroot, it connects
>> just fine and works correctly.  The logs I included in the previous
>> email were from my trying to connect from one linux box (client) using
>> sftp to the server linux box which is setup scponlyc (chroot).  In
>> other words, they weren't the logs of my putty test.
>
> Your comment in the prior e-mail said:
>
> "------- If user ssh into the server using putty --------"
>
> And the logs also showed:
>
> "scponly[18668]: entering WinSCP compatibility mode [username:
> ttabor(1014), IP/port: 172.16.40.105 2273 22]"
>
> Those don't make sense unless the WinSCP compatibility mode detection was quite broken or your sftp client is doing something > quite strange.  The test for WinSCP compatibility mode shouldn't be something that's not likely to happen accidently, as the >program requested by the connecting client would have to match:

Actually, what you quote above is the output on my putty screen when I
was testing it via putty.  That is a separate test from the other log
files I included in my email which are of my sftp attempt from a linux
box.  Sorry I didn't explain that very well.

> If the above doesn't help, I'd follow the instructions on the FAQ to generate a full set of strace files:

I have followed this FAQ and the strace is included in my original
post which is a strace of my sftp attempt from one linux client to the
server.

Chris