[scponly] scponlyc broken after upgrade to Debian 5

Chris Wood chriswoodut at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 14:47:28 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Kaleb Pederson
<kaleb.pederson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 March 2009 10:49:26 am Chris Wood wrote:
>> I recently upgrade from Debian 4 (etch) to 5 (lenny) and my scponly
>> stopped working.  I'm banging my head against the wall on this one and
>> could use some help.
>
> [...snip...]
>> scponly[18668]: entering WinSCP compatibility mode [username:
>> ttabor(1014), IP/port: 172.16.40.105 2273 22]
>
> Putty is using WinSCP compatibility mode, which I find a bit surprising but I can't say that I remember testing this.
>
> It's possible that scponly is built with scp support and winscp support, but without sftp-server support.  Can you confirm that it was indeed built with sftp-server support?
>
> You might try creating an account without the chroot and then using the sftp-server.   Also, can you paste similar logs for connection attempts using sftp directly?

Kaleb,

The scponly install I'm using is the default debian package 4.6-1.3.
If I sftp to the server with an account without chroot, it connects
just fine and works correctly.  The logs I included in the previous
email were from my trying to connect from one linux box (client) using
sftp to the server linux box which is setup scponlyc (chroot).  In
other words, they weren't the logs of my putty test.

I can't quite make heads or tails of the log files.  Any other ideas I
could test?

Chris