[scponly] more subversion confusion ...

Sven Hoexter sven at timegate.de
Thu Jun 8 17:54:08 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 05:45:07PM -0400, Ensel Sharon wrote:

> So, admittedly, I don't use subversion, and don't plan to.  Some of my
> students are requesting it, though, and I want to support it.
>
> My question is, why does scponly support svnserve ?  It looks like
> svnserve is a standalone server for subversion, along the lines of running
> rsync with --server ... which is great, but why in the world would I want
> to allow remote users to fire off the svn server, over ssh ?
>
> It seems like I would just want them to access the normal svn command,
> over ssh, using scponly ...
>
> Can someone set me (conceptually) straight ?
IIRC you can use svn with a uri starting with svn+ssh:// which will execute
on the remote system svnserve and server all data through the ssh tunnel.
This of cource requires you to be allowed to execute the svnserve program
on the server.

Cheers,
Sven
--
If you won't forgive me the rest of my life
Let me apologize while I'm still alive