[scponly] more subversion confusion ...

Ensel Sharon user at dhp.com
Thu Jun 8 17:45:07 EDT 2006

So, admittedly, I don't use subversion, and don't plan to.  Some of my
students are requesting it, though, and I want to support it.

My question is, why does scponly support svnserve ?  It looks like
svnserve is a standalone server for subversion, along the lines of running
rsync with --server ... which is great, but why in the world would I want
to allow remote users to fire off the svn server, over ssh ?

It seems like I would just want them to access the normal svn command,
over ssh, using scponly ...

Can someone set me (conceptually) straight ?

Thanks.