[scponly] why is it necessary to use sftplogging patch for umask?

Steven Sweet sweet at sfos.uaf.edu
Fri Feb 25 13:33:50 EST 2005

Hi,

I looked through the archived messages and found the info about patching
the sftp-server with the sftplogging patch at sourceforge.   I'm a bit
confused by that though because it seems to be the scponly "shell" that
causes the problem.

If I set up a user with login shell of /bin/bash and set the umask as
002 in their .bashrc, the files are created by sftp with the correct
permissions.  Its not until I change their login shell to
/usr/local/bin/scponly that their umask is not applied.

If the stock sftp-server component can correctly set the umask by
itself, why is that the piece that needs to be patched for scponly to be
able to set the umask?

Thanks.