[scponly] 3.1 not quite working on Linux ...

Clint Byrum cbyrum at spamaps.org
Mon Oct 14 17:09:28 EDT 2002

Hi there. I'm trying to use scponly 3.1 on Debian GNU/Linux 3.1.

After getting past the already documented configure problems, I have a
sort of working system. It works flawlessly with sftp. Unfortunately,
I'm setting this up for use by WinSCP users. :-/

When I login as an scponly user, chrooted or not, ls and sftp-server
work fine. However, when I try to use scp to transfer a file, scponly
runs the proper command (scp -f /etc/hosts for example). However, this
command seems to just die. I have watched sshd -d -d to confirm this,
and I have set scponly's debuglevel to 1 also. I even checked it by
replacing /usr/bin/scp with a shell script... it ran it just fine. This
almost seems like a problem with scp itself. :-P

So... what am I doing wrong?

OpenSSH 3.4p1-1 (debian 3.0 (woody)'s current package)
scponly 3.1

Thanks.