[PRL] reminder: PRL community meeting and Elevator Pitch Idol

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Sep 17 12:54:20 EDT 2007

Reminder:  we will meet this Wed, 9/17, at 1145 as usual.  We will do
Elevator Pitches by way of introducing ourselves to the new students in the
lab, and vice versa.

It would be nice if we could have all the PRL faculty present so we can have
a variety of Ersatz BigWigs for the students to buttonhole.

Just to remind you about the format.

Wed 9/19 -- Community Meeting & Elevator Pitch Idol.   I'd like to start off
> with a round-robin of 5-minute presentations, much like the one we had last
> March.  That will get everybody up to date, especially the new students and
> Pete (and me!).  I'd like to make this a little more concrete than last
> year's by doing more explicit role playing-- instead of each student talking
> at the air, I'd like to have each presentation be a dialogue between one
> student (playing him- or her-self) and one faculty member (playing an
> Important Person Whom the Student Has Buttonholed at a Conference).   The
> student gets to introduce himself and initiate a conversation with the
> IPWtSHSBaaC.   Where the conversation goes depends on how the IP* reacts, of
> course.  After 5 minutes a bell goes off.
>
> We'd choose the faculty member randomly, excluding the student's advisor.
> I think that will be fun for everybody.  We could make it even more fun by
> voting for Best Presentation (to be awarded publicly) and maybe for Worst
> Presentation (NOT to be awarded publically, but those receiving votes should
> be told privately).

If anybody has a nice timer app or a nice random-faculty-chooser I can run
on my laptop, pls send it to me so I won't have to do it myself.

--Mitch