[PRL] Demeter Seminar

Karl Lieberherr lieber at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Sep 17 15:46:39 EDT 2007

Fall Semester 2007
Demeter Seminar
Regular time: Thursday 10 - 11 am, 366 West Village H

This semester the Demeter Seminar will discuss topics related to
Adaptive and Aspect-Oriented Programming and Domain Specific Languages.
In addition, we will have at least one talk on solving SAT problems.
The AP/AOP topics will revolve around studying visitors: Interposition
Visitors,
Cloning Visitors, Functional Visitors, etc. to program in a
more structure-shy way, pushing in the same direction as Ralf Laemmel's and
Simon Peyton Jones's "Scrap your boilerplate" in Haskell.

The first seminar is on Tuesday September 18, also in 366.

Speaker: Christine Hang
Title: The Promise of Polynomial-based Local Search
to Boost Boolean MAX-CSP Solvers

Abstract. We propose a novel family of polynomial-based local search
algorithms for MAX-CSP. From this family, we present an optimal, fast
algorithm, called Evergreen local search (ELS ). We evaluate ELS as a
preprocessor for state-of-the-art MAX-CSP and MAX-SAT solvers which
shows promising improvement in speed and quality.

Joint work with Ahmed Abdelmeged, Daniel Rinehart and Karl Lieberherr

Planned talks:

September 27: Bryan Chadwick: Structure-shy Interpreters
October 4: Ahmed Abdelmeged: Interposition and Cloning Visitors
October 18: Therapon Skotiniotis: Making AP safer
October 25: Ahmed Abdelmeged: Structure-shy Programming in Haskell

We have a Demeter Seminar mailing list:

Please sign up at:

Seminar home page:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/research/demeter/seminar/seminar.html