[PRL] reading list for theoretical topics in PL

Alec alec at ccs.neu.edu
Sun May 21 22:17:46 EDT 2006

On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 09:24:33PM -0400, Dimitris Vardoulakis wrote:
> lambda calculus, type systems, operational/denotational semantics,
> universal algebra, logical relations, category theory
>
> Similarly, I'd like to know:
> a) good sources for the rest of the above topics

A few larger documents include

* A Course in Universal Algebra (Burris and Sankappanavar):
  http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~snburris/htdocs/ualg.html

  A (the?) Springer-Verlag book on Universal Algebra, out-of-print and
  available online.

* Domain Theory (Abramsky and Young):
  http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axj/pub/papers/handy1.pdf

  The introductory chapter on Domain Theory from Handbook of Logic in Compter
  Science (whence the Barendregt chapter).

* Proofs and Types (Girard)
  http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~pt/stable/Proofs+Types.html

  Also on typed lambda calculus.

* Category Theory Lecture Notes (Barr and Wells)
  http://www.let.uu.nl/esslli/Courses/barr/barrwells.ps

  Lecture notes I'm told strongly resemble a book on Category Theory by the
  authors.

-Alec