[PRL] reading list for theoretical topics in PL

Dimitris Vardoulakis dimvar at ccs.neu.edu
Sun May 21 21:24:33 EDT 2006

Hi all,
one could say that the following topics:

lambda calculus, type systems, operational/denotational semantics,
universal algebra, logical relations, category theory

(that loosely correspond to the chapters of J.Mitchell's book
"Foundations for Programming Languages") should be studied by an
advanced undergrad/beginning grad interested in PL. There are naturally
many books (by Winskel, Gunter, Pierce, Mitchell etc) that cover
some/all of these topics.

I'd be interested in free, good sources to read about these topics. For
example, I think that these two papers are a good place to start reading
about type systems:
- L.Cardelli, "Type Systems", the handbook of CS and Eng., 1997
- L.Cardelli, P.Wegner, "On Understanding Types, Data Abstraction, and
Polymorphism", ACM Computing Surveys, 1985
For lambda calculus there's the classic chapter by Barendregt.

Similarly, I'd like to know:
a) good sources for the rest of the above topics
b) topics missing from the list? topics in the list that are not needed?

thanks in advance,
Dimitris