[PRL] Bracha rant brings continuations to the front burner

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Mon May 22 10:26:06 EDT 2006

Gilad Bracha: Will Continuations continue?

 There are a variety of reasons why we haven't implemented continuations in
the JVM. High on the list: continuations are costly to implement, and they
might reek havoc with Java SE security model. These arguments are pragmatic
and a tad unsatisfying. If a feature is really important, shouldn't we just
bite the bullet?

Many here will not like the
answer<http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/gbracha?entry=will_continuations_continue>
.

This issue was discussed here mnay time, of course, but I think it is of
interest to know what the people at Sun are thinking...

Tim Bray's response<http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2006/05/19/Continuations-and-GUIs>is
also worth checking out, if only for the sake of this sound bite:
*The worst AJAX apps are like bad Nineties VB.*

http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1489  He seems to have sparked much
discussion, in a variety of forums, which you can find pretty easily by
following some of the links.  The discussion is interesting both
sociologically (as a snapshot of what people are thinking about this subject
right now) and occasionally technically.

Read Bracha's article, and the comments to get a sense of the discussion.
Also follow some of the links in Tim Bray's response for further amusement.
One that I found thoughtful was at http://smallthought.com/avi/?p=14 .

--Mitch