[PRL] AOP questions

Jeffrey Palm jpalm at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Mar 30 06:49:50 EST 2005

Pengcheng Wu wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, John Clements wrote:
>>2) "Join Points":
>>	It appears to me that join points are not truly points, but are rather
>>contiguous subsequences.  I say this because of the existence of things
>>like "around" and "after" pcds, which don't make sense for a definition
>>of join points as single points in a program's execution.  Is this
>>fair?
>

> I am not sure I understand this part.

Again, doug already pointed out "around" and "after" are advice
directives.

Join points are _points_ not sequences, and PCDs select a set of join
points, which is a subset of all points in the execution.  They need not
be contiguous.  For example, "in the flow of A and not B" could be a PCD
where A and B are themselves PCDs -- i.e. while A is somewhere above us
on the stack and we're at an execution point that's not B.  Obviously
this selects a non-contiguous set of points in the execution.

Jeff
--
Jeffrey Palm --> http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jpalm