[PRL] AOP questions

Pengcheng Wu wupc at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Mar 29 23:21:36 EST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, John Clements wrote:

> No:  the big thing that's missing in this "functional AOP" model that I
> think most AOP-ers find central to AOP is the idea of CFLOW-like
> pointcuts, that don't have to do with replacing one function with
> another but rather with replacing one dynamic execution path with
> another.  That is, they want their join-point matching to extend beyond
> the static context of the event being matched, so that they can say
> things like "any call to method m() that's within the dynamic extent of
> a call to method p()".

I don't agree CFLOW-like pointcuts are to replace one dynamic execution
path with another, instead, it is more appropriate to say advice
defined on them are to replace (actually, they may not necessarily replace)
functions under some dynamic circumstances. I think in functional
programming, you could also have something similar, e.g., function m may
return a different value when it is called by function n than the value if
it is called by function n1.

--Pengcheng