[PRL] Re: laptop stolen from Egan 222

Johan Ovlinger johan at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Nov 23 15:43:03 EST 2003

> OK, it's obvious to me that at least one of my backpacks was stolen
> *out of egan 222* from under my desk. I now suspect that they were both
> stolen and the first one would have been stolen during the day.

Over the years, Bob Futrelle had a whole Mac stolen, and perhaps (*) I
had a minidisc player lifted as well. At the time, we thought open
doors were to blame.

> 4. Don't leave valuables in the lab.

The desk drawers are lockable, and thus pretty safe unless the
culprits are lock-picks as well.  In the interim, I think Mitch and
Viera's "office" is lockable and opens by lab-key. I think it has a
door-jamb.

(*) Can't be sure about this one: it was at the bottom of a gym bag,
    underneath my used gym stuff -- I can't imagine a theif digging
    through that to find it, or taking the bag on the off chance it
    was contained something other than stinky socks.