[PRL] Re: laptop stolen from Egan 222

Greg Pettyjohn gregp at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Nov 23 14:42:12 EST 2003

OK, it's obvious to me that at least one of my backpacks was stolen
*out of egan 222* from under my desk. I now suspect that they were both
stolen and the first one would have been stolen during the day.

I first noticed my red back pack was gone on thursday night (Nov 13th)
after getting dinner at Uno.  At that time, since it disappeared during
the day, I made the assumption that I must have taken it out of the
office and left it somewhere, this assumption made me think I left it
at the library. Now, I'm convinced that it must have been taken from
under my desk. It would have disappeared sometime after 1:00 p.m. I
first knew for sure it was missing in the evening say between 8:00 and
9:00. I normally keep my backpack under my desk right next to my chair,
so I have always had my doubts that I left it at the library.

The second bag, was a grayish rectangular bag with a single strap. It
disappeared from under my desk last week, probably tuesday night (Nov.
18th).

When I came in last night (Sat. Nov. 22nd), there were two black men
here. I recall they had on hats and coats and were wandering around
near Jamie's desk. They still had their coats on, so obviously they
hadn't been here long.  I asked one of them "can I help you", he asked
me about someone named "David Smith". I responded that there was no
"David Smith" here. They both left. Dammit, they both walked right past
me, but I can't remember what they looked like, other than at least one
of them had a hat on.

I recall that I had to use my key to get enter through the door by
Joe's office. After the two men left, I surveyed the area and
discovered that Theo and Richard were here. I asked Richard whether he
was aware that the two men had been here. He said no, and then we both
observed that the other door was locked. I checked the door and
confirmed that it was indeed locked and was not ajar.

These two strangers were able to gain entrance, even though both doors
were locked, so either they got in the same way that Jeff did, or they
had a key.

Let me reiterate, these people are able to gain entrance without a key.
When they leave, they're smart enough to leave the door unlocked when
they leave so that we will mistakenly blame it on our own negligence
rather than suspect that they got in without having a key.

Jeff Palm was able to get in without a key. He showed me how he did it
and it's so simple that it is now clear to me that the locks on the
door are a total joke.

1. Don't stay late at night if you are the only one here.
2. You can lock the doors if you want, but it doesn't matter. If you
want, I will show you how to get in without a key. It's quick and easy.
3. When you log into your computer, check the RAM. I know first hand of
three different instances in which memory was stolen out of computers
(at BSQUARE, Microsoft, and UW).
4. Don't leave valuables in the lab.

We should find a solution to the lock problem before thanksgiving,
otherwise we could potentially loose a lot of equipment.