[Pl-seminar] [PRL Seminar] Friday, Sep 29: John Li - Probability theory and name binding

Luna Phipps-Costin phipps-costin.l at northeastern.edu
Wed Sep 27 13:11:59 EDT 2023

Hi everyone!
Our PRL seminar runs from 12 to 1:30 on Friday at Forsyth 237.   This week (the 29th), we will have John Li presenting!
Title: Probability theory and name binding
Abstract:
Lilac is a separation logic for probability inspired by ideas from the world of
mutable state: probabilistic sampling is like dynamic allocation, probability
spaces are like heaps, and measurability is like ownership. To substantiate this
metaphor, I will present the semantics of Lilac and illustrate how it parallels
the usual heap-based interpretation of separation logic. Then, I will sketch
some preliminary work on mathematizing this intuitive resemblance: a theorem
that recapitulates a classic result from the theory of names in the
probabilistic setting.

We have lunch from 12 to 12:30, and then John will present from 12:30 to 1:30.   If you're lucky, there may even be something to drink this time.