[Pl-seminar] [PRL Seminar] 12 to 1:30 tomorrow. Continuing WebAssembly with Effect Handlers

Luna Phipps-Costin phipps-costin.l at northeastern.edu
Thu Oct 5 17:54:30 EDT 2023

Hi Seminar List People -
As usual, this Friday (tomorrow) is seminar here at PRL.   This week's speaker is, well, me.

Speaker: Luna Phipps-Costin
Title: Continuing WebAssembly with Effect Handlers
When: 12 to 1:30*, Friday. the 6th.
Where: Forsyth 237
[Abstract:
WebAssembly (Wasm) is a low-level portable code format offering near native performance. It is intended as a compilation target for a wide variety of source languages. However, Wasm provides no direct support for non-local control flow features such as async/await, generators/iterators, lightweight threads, first-class continuations, etc.

In this talk, I will present our recent work extending Wasm with effect handlers. WasmFX provides a universal target for non-local control features, enabling compilers to translate such features directly into Wasm. Our extension is minimal and only adds three main instructions for creating, suspending, and resuming continuations. In the talk I will discuss the need for non-local control flow, introduce effect handlers in the particular form we use, and detail the particulars of our extension. I will then go through an implementation of lightweight threads in WasmFX, discuss our prototype implementation, and show preliminary performance results.]

* We provide lunch from 12 to 12:30.  Then the talk is 12:30 to 1:30.