[Pl-seminar] Semantics Seminar Schedule

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Feb 23 11:18:30 EST 2009

NU Programming Languages Seminar
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
11:45-1:30
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

Bounded-Latency Generational Garbage Collection

Will Clinger and Felix Klock

Abstract:

Generational garbage collectors offer good throughput on typical
programs, but most generational collectors perform occasional full
collections, which do not scale well; even on 32-bit machines, a full
collection can last several seconds.

Real-time collectors may scale well, but sacrifice throughput.
Furthermore some real-time collectors assume a well-behaved program,
and have unknown or poor worst-case performance.

We have designed and prototyped a new algorithm that offers a
compromise between real-time and generational collection.  In this
talk, we show that the algorithm is scalable by proving theoretical
worst-case bounds for space, gc latency, and minimum mutator
utilization.

Upcoming Events:

# Nothing scheduled :-(  Wouldn't you like to give a talk?

--Mitch