[PL-sem-jr] schedule of presentations

David Herman dherman at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Oct 8 00:33:53 EDT 2003

> I'd like to try to keep a schedule for at least 2-3 weeks in advance.
> So, do we have any volunteers for presentations for the following
> weeks?

We should coerce Ryan and Dale (on pain of great shame and the
occasional Bronx cheer) into doing talks: Dale's mentioned maybe giving
an introduction to categories, which I would *love* to hear, and Ryan
expressed interest in the survey of control operators, which would be
equally fabulous. (I know you guys are busy, but you'd give wonderful
talks.)

> Failing that, do we have any suggestions for topics that we'd like to
> cover?  Feel free to suggest a topic that you know nothing about.
> It's entirely possible that someone else will be interested and be
> willing to prepare a presentation on that.
>
> Also, textbooks are fair game: some folks were thinking about going
> through some chapters of Pierce, which sounds like a good idea to me.

Of particular interest to me would be a discussion of some of the
important type systems: STLC, System F, F-sub, and F-sub-omega. And any
of the prerequisite type theory that goes along with that. Pierce's
book has a good treatment of them -- I've only skimmed them, but they
looked good. Any takers?

Dave