[Linux-users] wine (was Windows plugins for Mozilla)

Judith A. Perrolle linux-users at lists.ccs.neu.edu
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 13:59:58 -0500 (EST)

Marc,

The wine project remains a major issue in Linux usability in the wider
world.  Since among the things the 9 states still pursuing the MS
anti-trust case have asked the courts for are open APIs for XP, XP support
for Sun Java, and MS being required to make versions of their applications
to run under Linux, we can hope wine will eventually work.

Not in time for your beta-Linux project, to be sure:) But your work is a
good demonstration of how universities can begin to move away from an
almost all-Microsoft environment. With wine we may someday find Linux
boxes all over NU and in people's co-op companies.

Without wine running commercial/buggy software Linux won't rule.

Judy

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001 15:57:55 -0500, Marc Reichman wrote:
> wine code is not known to be especially stable
and