[Linux-users] wine (was Windows plugins for Mozilla)

Marc Reichman linux-users at lists.ccs.neu.edu
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 23:15:37 -0500

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 01:59:58PM -0500, Judith A. Perrolle wrote:
> Marc,
>
> The wine project remains a major issue in Linux usability in the wider
> world.  Since among the things the 9 states still pursuing the MS
> anti-trust case have asked the courts for are open APIs for XP, XP support
> for Sun Java, and MS being required to make versions of their applications
> to run under Linux, we can hope wine will eventually work.
>
> Not in time for your beta-Linux project, to be sure:) But your work is a
> good demonstration of how universities can begin to move away from an
> almost all-Microsoft environment. With wine we may someday find Linux
> boxes all over NU and in people's co-op companies.
>
> Without wine running commercial/buggy software Linux won't rule.

i believe you're misinterpreting my comment.

the codeweavers wine-based plugin runner is the commercial/buggy software
i'm referring to. i don't really have the liberty to get software paid for,
nor do i want it, especially given its sketchy reputation. it's been known
to crash X servers, and leave machines in bad states, etc. it's not something
that i think is ready for machines which are in beta. things that are
regarded as beta are essentially feature-complete, with bugs being kinked out.
introducing new potential instabilities into this environment just seems
to be a bad idea.

i _will_ play with it on my testbed at school and let you know my findings,
but that will have to wait until i get back from vacation. :)

yours,
marc