[Linux-users] sound and cd playing on linux machines.

Marc Reichman linux-users at lists.ccs.neu.edu
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 15:08:06 -0500

Folks,

I've setup the sound modules and CD devices on our imaging linux box in the pit.
This gives users access to the sound cards and mixer devices, as well as the
ability to play an audio cd (no data cd mounting).

I've also installed the gnome programs and applets for playing CDs and adjusting
the mixer. Also installed currently is mpg123 for playing back MP3 files. If
anyone thinks there's a need I'll install xmms onto the machines for a more
sensible playback gui.

These priveledges are for headphones only, and the grey panel on each machine
will open in front revealing a headphone jack. Please don't let this priveledge
go away from abuse, as these are in the labs and people do not want to be
bothered.

Thanks.

--
-marc