[Larceny-users] Fwd: Bootstrapping...

Felix Klock felixluser at pnkfx.org
Tue Apr 21 07:55:51 EDT 2009

Lynn (cc'ing larceny-users)-

On Apr 21, 2009, at 7:41 AM, Lynn Winebarger wrote:

> I think that's what I was referencing.  I just remember something
> about "gcc 4+ doesn't like the generated code".  So I probably
> overstated the case.  PLT really doesn't work with 4+ so it was moot
> for me at that point.

Ah, okay.

> However, when I say "undocumented" I mean that it's not in the "how to
> build" document, not that it isn't the developer's database of issues.

The memory issues building Petit Larceny seem to have been fixed in
the gcc code base, so copying the note that we had in HOWTO-MACOSX
would be documenting a fixed bug in gcc.

I am not aware of any current problems building Larceny atop gcc 4+.
(At least, I no longer need to gcc_select version 3 to build Petit
Larceny on the powerpc mac auto builds...)

Therefore I do not think such a note belongs in the current "how to
build" document for Larceny.

Of course, if I am wrong and someone has encountered problems with gcc
4+, please let us know!

Thanks for the feedback,
-Felix