[Cs4800] Counting tournament tonight at 10 pm

Dennis Zografos dzog at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Nov 14 22:52:51 EST 2011

----- "Srinivas N Jay" <srinivasnjay at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dennis,
>
> I agree with you when you said, not the best, but not exactly
> "unfair". But the system is not fundamentally flawed. I think, the
> system was originally designed to find the best avatar with zero
> tolerance. When I say zero tolerance, avatar should handle all valid
> claims, solve any given valid instance and many more rules like these.
> If an avatar failed to comply with any of these rules, there is no
> point in allowing it to participate in rest of the tournament.

I get that.  "Zero tolerance" is not the problem, nor is ejecting.
That all makes sense :)

The fundamental flaw was with the *scoring*.

With ejection, and without score adjustment, two avatars which are
*PERFECT* zero-tolerance implementations could end up with different
scores, based SOLELY on the ORDER of their turns with respect to
when other avatars get ejected.

Do you know what I mean?  (Please let me know!)