[Cs4800] HW3 question

andrei at ccs.neu.edu andrei at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Sep 24 15:10:06 EDT 2010

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the response. I see what you're saying, but I think playing through the games isn't enough to definitively prove the claim one way or the other. For example, if Bob refutes Alice in the first game, the only thing that can be definitely stated is that the 'c' Alice chose isn't the one she claims exists to satisfy the predicate for all graphs.

The difficulty I'm having is in the imbalance of the games. So far Aaron and I have found that it takes a lot of effort in terms of picking a graph for Bob to refute Alice (if a c > 3 is chosen), but it seems trivial for Alice to refute Bob's inverse claim using the inverse game described in my earlier e-mail.

If it's easy for Alice to refute Bob, but difficult for Bob to refute Alice, to me that suggests that Alice's claim is more likely true - which goes against the intuition you have (and I share) about the problem. That's why I think there might be something wrong with the way I am formulating the inverse game.

Andrei