[Cs4800] HW3 question

Karl Lieberherr lieber at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Sep 24 21:43:50 EDT 2010

Hi Andrei and Ken:

by inverse you mean negation.

Let's see whether this helps:

Alice claims:
Exists C ForAll G: f(G)<=C

Refutation:
Alice gives C0
Bob gives G0: f(G0) > C0
Expl: Bob wins because he found a G0 that contradicts Alice claim.

Bob claims:
ForAll C Exists G: f(G) > C

Refutation:
Alice gives C0
Bob gives G0: f(G0) < C0
Expl: Alice wins because Bob did not find what he claimed.

What is confusing: If Alice claims:
ForAll C Exists G: f(G) > C
then the roles of Alice and Bob would have to be reversed.
I think you used those reversed roles. But Bob must make the negated claim.
He is in a good position to make this claim because he
successfully refuted Alice claim.

You were thinking in terms of Alice making the negated claim.

I agree with Ken that the claim on page 110 is false.
But we need an algorithm that constructs the graphs defending the
negated claim.

-- Karl