[Colloq] Talk - S. Muthukrishnan, Rutgers University - Data Stream Algorithms and Applications

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Nov 12 10:54:38 EST 2004

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

presents
S. Muthukrishnan
Rutgers University

who will speak on:
Data Stream Algorithms and Applications

Friday, November 19, 2004
11:00am

ABSTRACT

In the data stream scenario, input arrives very rapidly and there is
limited memory to store the input. In the past few years, researchers in
Theoretical Computer Science, Databases, IP Networking and Computer
Systems have developed new algorithms that work within these space and
time constraints. The methods rely on metric embeddings, pseudo-random
computations and sparse approximation theory. The applications include
IP network traffic analysis, mining text message streams for Homeland
Security and processing massive data sets in general.

I will present an overview of the principles, and discuss issues in
building data stream systems that work at IP line speeds. I will also
discuss open problems. This talk is based on an updated version of the
survey at http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~muthu/stream-1-1.ps

Bio: Graduated from Courant Inst of Math Sciences in 1994, and has been
at U. Warwick (UK), Bell Labs, AT&T Research and Rutgers Univ. since
then. Interests in foundational and applied algorithms in databases,
networking and pattern matching. Current interests in massive data set
processing. http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~muthu