[Colloq] Talk - TOMORROW, NOVEMBER 17, Radha Poovendran

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Nov 16 13:35:49 EST 2004

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

presents
Radha Poovendran
University of Washington

who will speak on:
SeRLoc: Secure Range-Independent Localization for Wireless Sensor Networks

Wednesday, November 17, 2004
108 West Village H
12:00pm
Northeastern University

ABSTRACT
In many applications of wireless sensor networks (WSN), sensors are
deployed un-tethered in hostile environments. For location aware WSN
applications, it is essential to ensure that sensors can determine their
location, even in the presence of malicious adversaries. In this talk we
address the problem of enabling sensors of WSN to determine their
location in an un-trusted environment. Since localization schemes based
on distance estimation are expensive for the resource-constrained
sensors, we propose a range-independent localization algorithm called
SeRLoc.  SeRLoc is distributed algorithm and does not require any
communication among sensors. In addition, we show that SeRLoc is robust
against severe WSN attacks, such as the wormhole attack, the Sybil
attack and compromised sensors. We present a threat analysis and
comparison of the performance of SeRLoc with state-of-the-art
range-independent localization schemes. We also present a
high-resolution extension to SeRLoc provide a number of methods for
robust estimation of location. We will also discuss some of the hard
problems that remain open.

Bio:
Radha Poovendran is an assistant professor at the Electrical Engineering
Department of the University of Washington at Seattle. He received his
PhD. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Maryland, College
Park in 1999. His research interests are in the areas of applied
cryptography for multiuser environment, networking, and Information
Theory. He is a recipient of a number of awards from NSA, NSF, ARO and
ONR for his research contributions in the areas of wired and wireless
security.  He is also a recipient of a number of awards for teaching,
advising and good citizenship within the university community. He is a
co-program chair of the ACM Wireless Security (WiSe) 2005.