[Colloq] Reminder Talk -TODAY, Wednesday, Nov. 3 - Gary Miller, CMU

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Nov 3 09:50:36 EST 2004

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

presents
Gary Miller
Computer Science Department
CMU

who will speak on:
TUMBLE a software package for the simulation of soft tissues in 2D.

Wednesday, November 3, 2004
						12:00pm

ABSTRACT

As biology, as well as many other fields, requires computer simulations
of highly deformable materials, we have developed a 2D moving-mesh
package for the simulation of soft tissues.  We have started with the
simulation of red blood cells in a fluid flow where the cells as well as
the containing vessel, such as a heart, may be highly deformable and
have interesting dynamics.  We have chosen the Lagrangian approach, that
is, we move the mesh with the material. This method over say Eulerian
has the advantage that the systems to be solved at each time frame, for
say Navier-Stokes with immerse membrane, are all linear.  In addition,
there are many other advantages that we will discuss in the talk. The
main downside, though, is that the meshing problems become much more
difficult.  We show how to address these meshing problems, as well as
show some interesting simulations.

This represents joint work with David E. Cardoze, Mark Olah, and Todd
Phillips.