[scponly] Further // usage confusion ... possible bug ?

Ensel Sharon user at dhp.com
Thu Mar 30 13:20:41 EST 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Paul Hyder wrote:

> Ensel Sharon wrote:
> > /usr/home//username
> >
> > (where the chroot supporting etc/usr/bin directories for multiple users
> > are in /usr/home)
> >
> > Should allow me to scp like this:
> >
> > scp /file username at servername:/
> >
> > but it doesn't - I _still_ have to specify the subdirectory on the scp
> > command line:
>
> Actually it wouldn't normally permit the scp above; "/" is the chroot
> point NOT the users directory.  You ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want users to have
> write permission in "/".

No, not in _the real_ /, of course not - but the explanation that the
author gave as to how // works is that you are moved into the subdirectory
(no longer the real "/").

Why doesn't // in the home directory cause "/" in the scp line to be what
is specified after the // ?  If you look at my first post today, in which
I quote the scponly author, that does seem to be what he is saying it
does...