[scponly] Further // usage confusion ... possible bug ?

Paul Hyder Paul.Hyder at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 30 13:15:50 EST 2006

Ensel Sharon wrote:
> /usr/home//username
>
> (where the chroot supporting etc/usr/bin directories for multiple users
> are in /usr/home)
>
> Should allow me to scp like this:
>
> scp /file username at servername:/
>
> but it doesn't - I _still_ have to specify the subdirectory on the scp
> command line:

Actually it wouldn't normally permit the scp above; "/" is the chroot
point NOT the users directory.  You ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want users to have
write permission in "/".

I suspect that the syntax you want is "scp /file username at servername:"
(There is archived email discussion about the fact that scponly doesn't
permit "~", mainly that it isn't needed and is complex to support.)
    Paul Hyder
    NOAA Earth System