[scponly] scponly okay, scponlyc doesn't work and it gives no information

Kaleb Pederson kpederson at mail.ewu.edu
Fri Mar 24 11:22:39 EST 2006

> Changed passwd to:
> testuser:x:1013:100::/home/testuser//web:/usr/local/sbin/scponlyc
>
> C:\PuTTY>psftp testuser at ssh.bethanyefree.org
> Using username "testuser".
> Fatal: Server sent disconnect message
> type 2 (SSH_DISCONNECT_PROTOCOL_ERROR):
> "Too many authentication failures for testuser"

It looks like it isn't really making it past authentication.  You might try
'psftp -v' and see if that gives you anything else more useful.  If not, I
would try from a Linux box (perhaps the server in question) turning up the
debugging information (ssh -v[v][v]) until you have sufficient information.
Also, once the password request is made (assuming no public-key auth), then
you can strace the process on the server side and see what it's doing.

Hope that helps.

--Kaleb