[scponly] support for more generalized chroot exceptions in scponly

John Kozubik john at kozubik.com
Sun Mar 19 14:39:36 EST 2006

Friends,

Regarding the generalized chroot exceptions and rdist support...

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Kaleb Pederson wrote:

> Is this the rdist you're talking about:
>
> http://www.magnicomp.com/rdist/rdist.shtml
>
> If so, it looks like the -P transport_path program would prevent it from being
> secure as it gets executed.  Somebody could create their own script which did
> <whatever>, upload it, set permissions, and then run it by having rdist use
> -P.  And... it seems -P would almost be 'necessary', although we could put it
> in the disallowed argument list.

Yes, that is the program I referred to.  Instead of disallowing the -P
argument altogether, why not hard-code scponly to invoke:

-P ssh

Which is the only usage I would allow anyway, and probably the only
sensible usage at all under scponly.

Perhaps, like the generalized chroot exception forks, there could also be
a generalized command addition for scponly that would keep the community
from having to create a new addition to scponly every time a new usage
like rdist or Unison or rdiff-backup, etc., is desired.  Obviously a
generalized argument allow/disallow would need to be included.

This is just a thought.  At the present time I continue to express a need
for rdist support - not because I use rdist, or that I find it to be more
useful than rsync, etc., but rather because I have a user population that
requests it by name, and has established rdist infrastructures that they
will not abandon.

Further, I continue to express support for the generalized chroot
exception forks, which I think is a great solution to that problem.

-----
John Kozubik - john at kozubik.com - http://www.kozubik.com