[scponly] I _still_ don't understand --enable-quota-compat

Kaleb Pederson kpederson at mail.ewu.edu
Fri Mar 10 13:46:57 EST 2006

> Finally, even if you do put fstab in your (chroot)/etc, it still doesn;t
> work, presumably because the binary-data quota files taht the quota
> command reads are in the root of the filesystem in question, and thus
> outside of the chroot.

If you strace it, you'll probably find that it needs a bunch of device nodes
and other things that aren't present.

> So ... does anyone here actually use this option, and successfully call
> the quota command ?  If so, how ?  Or is this only workable for people
> _not_ doing a chroot ?

I would guess that it only works outside of a chroot.  I have never tried to
use it within a chroot.  A strace would show you exactly what the (next)
problem is.  There might be more than one problem.  Eg. you might have to
copy or create some device nodes and then <other action here>.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear... but I can't see how it might
work differently.

Thanks for looking into it.

--Kaleb