[scponly] I _still_ don't understand --enable-quota-compat

Ensel Sharon user at dhp.com
Fri Mar 10 13:36:20 EST 2006

Ok, so on the surface I guess it makes sense - that configuration option
allows quota to be one of the commands that scponly allows people to run.

Although, interestingly, whereas the other "compat" configuration
directives copy the binaries and supporting libraries into the chroot,
that one does not - you have to copy in quota and its required libraries
by hand.  Ok, no worries.

But quota (at least on FreeBSD) requires the /etc/fstab file ... and I
wasn't really planning on putting /etc/fstab into my chroot ... do people
do that ?

Finally, even if you do put fstab in your (chroot)/etc, it still doesn;t
work, presumably because the binary-data quota files taht the quota
command reads are in the root of the filesystem in question, and thus
outside of the chroot.

---

So ... does anyone here actually use this option, and successfully call
the quota command ?  If so, how ?  Or is this only workable for people
_not_ doing a chroot ?

Thanks.