[scponly] when do I, and when do I not, use the "/./" syntax ?

user user at dhp.com
Tue Dec 20 15:38:33 EST 2005

I have successfully set up scponly.  Specifically, I set up scponlyc
chroot shell, and built a chroot tree in /home.

I then set every users home directory to /home, and set their scponlyc
chroot target as /home/(username).

I believe I have tested it thoroughly - all users do indeed seem to be
chrooted into /home/(username) and do not seem to be able to access
anything outside of their chroot.

However, I notice in documentation, and on this mailing list, the use of
the standard "/./" placeholder for chroot paths ... as you can see, I do
not have that in my home-path for any of my users.  Further, in other
tests when I had deeper directory paths than simply "/home", I still did
not make use of "/./"  ...  however, everything worked properly and I
noticed no problems.

So, when do I need to use "/./", and when is it not necessary (and is my
implementation one of the ones where it is not necessary, or _should I_ be
using it ?)

Thanks.