[scponly] not chrooting from script

Lars Hermerschmidt lars.hermerschmidt at ias.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Dec 16 03:02:33 EST 2005

Hi all,
i use the debian scponlyc package 4.0-1 and also tried the one from
testing release (forgot the version) and both show a quite ugly
behaviour when i call scponlyc from a script that i wrote as login
shell. My perl script presents a menu to users who log in through ssh
and if the user tries to execute a command it simply passes it to
scponlyc like this:
  system("/usr/sbin/scponlyc -c \"$args\"");
BUT scponlyc did no chroot and the logging don't realy told me why. So i
tried around and finaly found that with
  system("export PATH=\$PATH:/usr/sbin; scponlyc -c \"$args\"");
scponly does chroot.

To me this sounds like a bug.

When i use scponly directly as login shell and do a ssh login i got no
real sensful information. Wouldn't it be nice to give the admin a chance
to put a menu there like i did?

greetings Lars