[scponly] scpjailer woes

Robert J Taylor robert at rjamestaylor.com
Wed Jan 21 14:36:16 EST 2004

Charles Fry inquired:

> Has anyone else succesfully run scpjailer with sftp?

I use it on RedHat Enterprise Server v3 fine. I did use the script for
RH9 ( I only adjusted the dummyhome directory from 'public_html' to
'incoming' ) that is included in build_extras. I switched current sftp
users to scponly/jailed and they didn't know the difference (except that
they couldn't see the rest of the file system, which difference, had
anyone made a reference to would have gotten me quite curious as to why
they noticed!).

A note to those responsible for scponly: thanks. I've had a small number
of trustworthy users using sftp on one of my non-sensitive servers, but
want to open access to a wider range of users. Looking around at various
options I was most comfortable with scponly (I didn't want to futz with
openssh directly...) and it worked as advertised the first time I tried
it. So...thank you!