[Pl-seminar] 2/25: Vincent St-Amour, "A Type System You Can Count On"

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Feb 22 22:34:22 EST 2011

NEU Programming Languages Seminar presents

Vincent St-Amour
Northeastern University

**Friday, 2/25**

12:00pm - 1:30pm
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

A Type System You Can Count On

No matter the area of application, programmers use numbers in their
programs. We show, using Typed Racket's numeric tower as an example,
that an expressive type system can make programmers' lives easier when
it comes to numbers on two fronts:

- Enforcing numerical properties that programmers use to reason about
their programs.

- Making expressing numeric formulas as simple as it would be on a blackboard.

We provide use cases for these features and discuss how to design a
type system to achieve these goals, and which type system features
make it possible to do so.

This is work in progress with Sam and Matthias. We're currently
writing it up for ICFP and would be interested in hearing your
feedback. We're looking for comments both on the work itself and on
how to present it effectively.