[PL-sem-jr] Upcoming Talks

Richard Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Apr 6 12:15:08 EDT 2006

PL Seminar, Jr.
Friday, April 7
1:30 - 3:30
WVH 166 (we hope)
=================

Richard Cobbe will present a survey of virtual types (also known as
virtual classes).  Preliminary bibliography attached.

I plan to use the projector for part of my talk, so we may need to meet
elsewhere depending on whether or not it's been fixed.  I'll send an
announcement to this list if the meeting room changes.

Upcoming Talks
==============
April 14: Jay McCarthy: topic TBA
April 21: Jesse Tov & Dimitri Vardoulakis on GADTs

Bibiography for virtual types/classes:

@inproceedings{madsen-89-virtual,
    author = "Ole Lehrmann Madsen and Birger M{\o}ller-Pedersen",
    title = "Virtual classes: a powerful mechanism in object-oriented
        programming",
    booktitle = "OOPSLA '89: Conference Proceedings on Object-Oriented
        Programming Systems, Languages and Applications",
    year = 1989,
    isbn = "0-89791-333-7",
    pages = "397--406",
    location = "New Orleans, Louisiana, United States",
    doi = "\url{http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/74877.74919}",
    publisher = "ACM Press",
    address = "New York, NY, USA",
}

@inproceedings{thorup-97-genericity,
    title = "Genericity in Java with Virtual Types",
    author = "Kresten Krab Thorup",
    booktitle = "ECOOP '97---Object-Oriented Programming: 11th European
        Conference (LNCS 1241)",
    year = 1997,
    pages = "444--471",
    location = "Jyv{\"a}skyl{\"a}, Finland",
    mon = jun,
    publisher = "Springer-Verlag GmbH",
    address = "Berlin",
}

@inproceedings{torgersen-98-virtual,
    author = "Mads Torgersen",
    title = "Virtual Types are Statically Safe",
    year = 1998,
    booktitle = "The Fifth International Workshop on Foundations of
        Object-Oriented Languages (FOOL 5)",
    note = "Available from \url{http://pauillac.inria.fr/~remy/fool/program.html}",
}

@inproceedings{thorup-99-unifying,
    author = "Kresten Krab Thorup and Mads Torgersen",
    title = "Unifying Genericity: Combining the Benefits of Virtual
        Types and Parameterized Classes",
    booktitle = "ECOOP '99: Object-Oriented Programming: 13th European
        Conference (LNCS 1628)",
    pages = "186--204",
    location = "Lisbon, Portugal",
    month = jun,
    year = 1999,
    publisher = "Springer-Verlag GmbH",
    address = "Berlin"
}

@inproceedings{bruce-98-statically,
    author = "Kim B. Bruce and Martin Odersky and Philip Wadler",
    title = "A Statically Safe Alternative to Virtual Types",
    booktitle = "ECOOP'98---Object-Oriented Programming: 12th European
        Conference (LNCS 1445)",
    year = 1998,
    pages = "523--549",
    location = "Brussels, Belgium",
    mon = jul,
    publisher = "Springer-Verlag GmbH",
    address = "Berlin",
}

@inproceedings{igarashi-99-foundations,
    title = "Foundations for Virtual Types",
    author = "Atsushi Igarashi and Benjamin C. Pierce",
    booktitle = "ECOOP '99: Object-Oriented Programming: 13th
        European Conference",
    pages = "161--185",
    publisher = "Springer-Verlag GmbH",
    address = "Berlin",