[Isu570-f08-rpf] Important reasons to come to class this morning

Bob Futrelle bob.futrelle at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 07:36:47 EDT 2008

I will be going over the assignment 2 handins in detail.  This will be
especially helpful in writing up the longer versions of your project.
If  you're not in class and don't learn the ins and outs, you could
lose a lot of points on your project.  That's the downside. The upside
is that you'll learn some more about how to organize your thoughts and
how to write well; that can help you a lot in the long run.

There is a midterm on Tuesday, covering chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7.  I
will go over each chapter this morning, emphasizing which parts you
need to focus on.  Since I'll be giving explicit directions, I expect
you to do a good job answering questions on those sections.  I will
grade you answers critically, so it's a good idea to be in class this
morning. If you're not in class to hear about the exam, you'll have a
hard time doing the good job that you could do.  I don't want anyone
losing a lot of points because they didn't bother to come to class.
If this course was strictly out of the book, I can understand why you
could find that an excuse not to come to class. But there's a lot I'll
say in class that's not in the book.

There are some people who never bother to come to class.  University
policies state that that is unacceptable.  I am even allowed to reduce
your grades if you are habitually absent.  I don't think that's
necessary, because if you're not in class to hear things, your grades
on tests and projects will suffer.  In the long run, the only person
you're cheating is yourself. Someone, usually your parents, is paying
a lot to send you to school.  Don't throw that money down the drain.
Help yourself now and for the future.

Looking forward to seeing you in class this morning.

  ----   Professor Futrelle