[csu540-f05-rpf] Quiz 1 grades (in sorted order)

Robert Futrelle futrelle at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Oct 2 19:51:03 EDT 2005

This should help to allay anyone's fears that they
might have done badly.  They are, sorted:

84
85
92
93
94
95
95
96
97
100
100

Since we won't have to spend much time going over the
quiz tomorrow, Monday, we can devote most of the class
to discussing the programming assignment.  I've given
you good pointers on how to do the simple projection
in my previous email.

The assignment is not bitingly clear about including
perspective views in your assignment, but you
are supposed to do that - you are to include perspective
views.

The difference, for perspective views, is that the
vector rayd will vary in direction for each i,j, since it
points in a direction such that it will pass through a grid,
perpendicular to the z-axis and situated somewhere
between the eyepoint, raye, and the scene objects (planets).
But again, for a given i,j, you just take its rayd
and the fixed raye and run traceAllPlanets(), which
replaces traceOne().

Sorry, but I forgot to suggest renaming the method
traceOne() to traceAllPlanets() in my previous note.
Makes it clearer what you are to do.  That's why I
indicated that you'd pass it an instance of a class,
SolarSystem, which would include instances to Planet
objects to iterate over.

You're welcome to use Java 5 syntax, which can help
with collections (getting rid of casting) and
iterating over collections, with for() instead of
needing an Iterator. Java 5 is the default on Solaris
and it's what I'm now running on my PB.  You can
download it from Sun for Windows or Linux,
including versions for AMD64 platforms.

  - Prof. Futrelle