[csu540-f05-rpf] Error compiling java files

Robert Futrelle futrelle at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Sep 13 22:26:37 EDT 2005

To run a java graphics program, you have to have a system ready to display it.

If you log in to a Solaris box remotely, you have to do it with X11
software (a "server") running on your PC or Mac or Linux machine.
Otherwise, the Solaris box can figure out how to display on the
machine your logging in from.

Since it mentions X11, that's probably your problem.

Simplest thing to do is to load Java on your own machine and do your
work there.  To then check it on Solaris, you need to be sitting at a
Solaris machine in the Unix lab in WVH.  Or you could do all your
work on a Solaris machine.

What happened to you, I'd guess, is that the program compiled fine -
it just couldn't figure out how to display.

This help?

  - RPF

PS: I have a slight problem with my Mac.  The new X11 under Tiger
doesn't allow me to display from a remote Solaris box.  I still have
a couple of Macs running the earlier X11 and they still work fine.
So I won't be able to demo remote viewing in class, unless I bring in
my old PB, which I might some time.